Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Meeting Theo for the First Time





























































Wow- what a day it has been! We called Eastern Social Welfare this morning and they told us to be there at 1:30pm. We’ll cut right to that time . . . we walked in to Eastern and had to complete some paperwork before meeting Theo. There was a little confusion about where to wait and who to meet but we eventually were connected with our social worker. We anxiously completed the forms, got Theo’s visa, and were then escorted upstairs to meet him. His foster mom was at the top of the steps holding him and he was as cute as we imagined!

Our social worker Ms. Oh took us all into a little play room and the foster mom sat Theo down on the floor. We gave him some toys Ella picked out for him. (Ella he loved them and we told him his big sister picked them out!) He was very curious about all of the toys and played intently. I tried very hard not to cry and I did very well! Mom had trouble holding it back. It was down-right overwhelming to finally meet him.

The social worker interpreted for the foster mom as she told us about Theo’s sleeping and eating schedules. She said he is a very good sleeper and does sometime sleep through the night.

They then left the room so Laur, mom and I could have some time alone with Theo. He was great- no tears! A few minutes later, the social worker brought in a bottle and we traded off feeding him. We had about 35 minutes alone with him and we successfully coaxed him into some smiles. What a cutie, correction, what a heavy cutie!

We were able to follow the foster mom to the medical room where they told us he is progressing at an 8 month level – just a little behind schedule but nothing to worry about.

We also were able to see the nursery today. This is where the newborn babies up to 1 month are kept until they are placed in foster care or domestically adopted by Korean families. There were 50 adorable babies and we are hoping to hold some on Thursday.

We were asked to come back to Eastern on Thursday at 11:30 to meet with the orphanage directors, have a Korean lunch and to pick up Theo. We will be able to bring him back to our hotel for Thursday night- we feel like we hit the jackpot on this! I don’t think all babies are permitted to go back with the adoptive families before the family departs Korea.

We also had some gifts for some adopting families from Lifelink. We gave our social worker the care packages from the Olivers and the Bivers. Our social worker is also the social worker for Josiah Biver so she said she would arrange for us to meet Josiah. I will do my best to get some great pictures Vanessa!!!

We are back at the hotel now after being completely emotionally and physically exhausted. We spent the morning at Namedemun Market were we did lots of shopping. We won’t see Theo tomorrow so we will plan on a full day of sight seeing and staring at the hundreds of pictures we took between the 3 of us. That’s all for now.

I love and miss you Chris and Ella. I can’t wait for you to meet Theo!!

12 comments:

Michelle Miller said...

Words cannot begin to describe the feeling of complete joy I have in my heart ... Oh my GOD he is soooooo adorable. And, he looks soooooo natural in your arms. What a happy little guy --- and what a wonderful way to start my day ... I didn't sleep well last night because I was so excited to see your post from yesterday. I think my emotions are on overdrive since this is also the anniversary of our China trip. What an absolutely special time of the year.

Ella, what a handsome little brother you have and what an AWESOME big sister you will be!!! Counting down the days till Mom and Theo come home --- only a few more to go!

Congrats to the Eckert family!!! God is GOOD!!!

Hugs,
Michelle

Jill said...

OMG Angie Theo is so stinking cute. And he has the outfit that i brought for you...what a great foster mom...

Can't wait for more pictures. I am so jealous that you get to bring him back to the hotel. what great news.......

Jill

Jennifer said...

He is adorable and he looks so healthy and happy. You are all beautiful together. Hugs to Chris and Ella at home and we will pray for your patience as Angie completes the trip.

Happy, happy Day!

The Schmidt's

The Wrights said...

What wonderful pictures and oh my that big smile!

I bet you are in heaven!

It won't be too long before you are all back home!

Liz said...

Brad and I are ELATED! Oh Angie he's so precious. And he looks so happy with you! We are so excited to welcome the little guy home! Thanks for keeping the blog so up to date - I love reading of your adventures!

Laura said...

Oh my goodness, I am so excited; I am so happy; I so have tears running down my face and I am AT WORK (my coworkers think I am nuts!)

He is beautiful and adorable and looks just perfect. I am such a proud aunt and so glad you are all there together. I can't wait to meet him on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tina Veal said...

Oh Angie! What a wonderful day for you! I was so excited to get up this morning and see Theo with you! Theo is just adorable! He looks so happy to meet you, your mom and sister! Thinking of Chris and Ella too...only 3 more days! What a wonderful way to share in this exciting time in your life! Best Wishes on the rest of your trip!

Joelle and Chandler said...

ok, well I am crying for you!

Everyone in my office is cooing over the cute photos. He is really happy!

Hopefully, you can fill the rest of your time with some good touristy and shoppy stuff until you get to hold him again!

See you on Friday,
love, jo

Ali said...

Wow! You and Theo look so great together... a perfect match. I am so thrilled for you and Chris and Ella. What a lucky guy. Liam can't wait to meet him, but for now Liam says to Theo "drink your milk and sleep well" oh and he also says WAAAAAA. We love you all.

Ali, Jason and Liam

Our Life As A Family said...

Angie I have been dying all day to see the pictures....you guys look so HAPPY and what great news you get some time with him before the LONG flight!

I am so happy for you guys! What great news!

He is a doll!

Can't wait to hear and read more!

Love,
Ted & Angie

Anonymous said...

If I am having trouble holding back tears of joy for your family, I cannot imagine how you are holding it together! :-) Theo fits perfectly into your arms~ where he belongs! We are so excited to meet your darling son. What a blessing it will be when your family will be ALL together! Can't wait to see you all!

Anonymous said...

Angie, he is so beautiful! the two of you look so natural together. Cathy & I can't wait until you bring him by the garden center so we can meet the little man. Welcome home!