Friday, January 23, 2009

Guiping Sisters and Korean Brothers

I have been enjoying parenting CD's called Love and Logic. Visit them at http://www.loveandlogic.com/. The series about "Entitlement" is my current focus. One of the many topics it addresses is helping our kids realize that life is not always fair, and that life can go differently than we plan, but that we face life's challenges partly by being grateful for what we have and by remembering that how we react to our circumstances can help us to grow and lead us to happiness and satisfaction. Okay, yes, this is a heavy topic for my almost 5-year old (Babysteps are key here). Certainly I have trouble remembering this at times and I am enjoying the refresher course.

After listening to my CD's on the way to Champaign IL and back today, I decided to start a group journal. Before bedtime tonite, we wrote the date in the journal and Chris, Ella and I recorded what we are thankful for.



I told Ella, "I am thankful for my family."


Ella maturely replied that she is "thankful for Guiping Sisters and Korean Brothers."

Guiping sisters: Juilia P, Julia B and Ella in China, April 05.




Then we called Dad who is out of town for the night. He is thankful for his "family, our house and our dogs."



I think we are off to a good start on our journal. Ella caught on very quickly, leaving me to believe she may not need the lesson as much as I do . . .

No comments: