Thursday, April 3, 2008

Leaving Seoul







We had an interesting first night. Poor Theo had no idea who was trying to put him to sleep. He quickly looked from side to side as if he was looking for his foster mom and was very unsettled (I was having flashbacks to Kailee Martin in China). We had 2 hours of crying from 7-9pm before we got the idea to walk him around the hotel and underground mall in the baby carrier. He LOVED that thank God because I was starting to panic. . .

He fell asleep according to his schedule at 10pm and slept soundly until 2am (I think that was a major accomplishment!). I patted and held him until he fell back asleep again. Then he woke at 3am ish and mom gave him a bottle. After he fell asleep, I held him until 5am. Now he is up and very happy. Lots of smiles, rolling around and thumb sucking! He entertains himself with his toys on the beds as he makes noises. He is fighting a nap so hopefully we will get one in before we need to leave.

The service in our hotel has been incredible, our social worker at Eastern has been terrific and we’ve found the Korean people to be very helpful and caring. What a trip.

Now, we are packing our things as we plan to head for the airport about 11:30am. Please cross your fingers for us (and everyone else on our flight) for a pleasant flight home. Jodi, we will see you very soon in LA!!! We are anxious to meet up with many of you at the airport. We have enjoyed Seoul tremendously but there’s no place like home.

Have a good day all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Theo is just too cute! We can't wait for you to be home!

Teresa, Brian and Madylin

Our Life As A Family said...

He is so sweet and cute!

Angie

Laura said...

You're almost here! We can't wait! So glad the first night went (fairly) smoothly!

Love,
Tim, Laura & Audrey

Anonymous said...

I miss my travel companions! I could have used your sense of directions as I went to the wrong airport in Seoul!
So glad I could be there this week and especially yesterday. Cannot wait to see Theo and you two again.
I'm surprised he slept through Mom's SNORING! (sorry Mom, "purring")

Michelle Miller said...

Oh Angie -- what a little doll baby!!! Congratulations once again! Safe travels home!

Just remember to take a deep breath and continually reassure Theo -- the girls all had time to grieve while we were in Nanning, but this experience is completely different than what we had in China. It won't take long before Theo realizes the wonderful, loving family that now surrounds him. I know it had to be hard to watch and listen to him cry last night, but consider it yet another milestone accomplished ... because as we all know so very well -- grieving is a natural part of the adoption experience. He looks so stinkin happy and cute in the pictures -- I'm not sure I believe you that he cried at all! Ha. :o)

I'm sure you left a part of your heart in Seoul, just as we did when we left China. I remember shedding a tear or two as the plane took off from Hong Kong ... they were happy/sad tears all at the same time. What an amazing gift Korea has given you and what an amazing gift the Eckert family is for Theo.

God bless you all!!!

Happy Forever Family Day to the Eckerts!!!

Hugs,
Michelle