Thursday, October 30, 2008

Grapes Galore


























If you've been to our house, you've seen the grape vineyard just west of the house. This is a "test" vineyard and has become a new passion for Chris. The orginal intent was to see what all goes into growing grapes in this climate and to see if this is viable crop for Eckert's. As with all forms of agriculture, this proves to be a learning lesson every year!

Last year we lost almost all of the crop to the freeze. This year's cool summer allowed a bountiful crop with the effects of a cooler growing region. The result has been a fantastic crop of grapes and our first attempt at wine making from this 5 year old vineyard.

This afternoon we took a trailer load of the Chambourcin grapes to Ravissant Winery in Belleville. Matt from Ravissant showed us how to use his equipment and guided us thru the de-stemming and crushing process. In about an hour, we had 100 gallons of grape juice which will amount to 60 gallons of wine once we remove the skins.

Theo, Ella, Chris and I enjoyed tasting the Chambourcin juice. It was sweet and delicious and had us asking for more! The juice will rest in a metal tank with the skins (coloring from the skins gives red wine its pretty color). Then, next week we will go back to Ravissant to put the juice thru a straining process before barreling it.

While we were there today, Matt gave us a sample from the Chardonnay wine that Chris, Lary and my Dad pressed a month ago. I must say, I was blown away by how good it was. The chardonnay is up to about 10% alcohol content and it has a fantasticly fruity bouquet.

Admittedly, I have become a bit of wine snob over the last decade so I wasn't expecting much from an Illinois-grown Chardonnay. I am so glad I underestimated the quality of the grapes! Matt said the wine has not absorbed much of the oak flavor of the barrel it is housed in. Over time, this barrel will impart more oakiness to the wine. His suggestion was to taste the Chardonnay every couple of weeks to see how we like the flavor. I signed up for this job!!

Theo and Ella enjoyed watching the wine-making process. Ella is a big fan of wine grapes - the only problem is that you have to watch out for the seeds. We will keep you posted on the progress of the wine! Many Thanks to Matt for his help today-we had a ball!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

HOW FUN and neat to be growing grapes and doing this! NEAT. I have never been a wine drinker, but hey...if it is Eckert wine, I will have to start! I do like wine coolers, though!
JEN Schmidt