Thursday, July 2, 2009

US Citizen Theo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Today we had a 12:55 appointment at the Federal Building in St. Louis for Theo's naturalization (this is where Chris and I have been fingerprinted several times for adoption applications).

Because he is being adopted by 2 US Citizens AND we have filled out a million and one documents AND we have adopted him through a US court, he is finally eligible for citizenship. The naturalization process can begin, according to the US Government, once the proper legal paperwork has been completed and a N600 has been submitted to the Department of Homeland Security.

A few minutes after 1pm today, we walked into an auditorium with about 60 other people. Approximately 30 of them, of a variety of ages, were also becoming citizens. Prior to the ceremony, we signed Theo's name on several documents and noted we were signing as his parents since he is too young to sign himself.

The officials began by calling all persons seeking citizenship over the age of 14 to stand, raise their right hands, and recite in unison:


"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

(I am raising my left hand so I can hold Theo and he can raise his his right)



Ella, Chris and I all raised our hands and recited the oath for Theo. He held his right hand up and looked on seriously. I couldn't help but be amazed at how little a US born child, like myself, gives thought to our responsibility of citizenship. It must admit, it was rather invigorating to state the oath of citizenship aloud and to be reminded of our role as citizens of this country.

A few minutes later, the officials called "Theodore Eckert." Ella, Theo and I went forward while Chris took a photo. Theo received his Certificate of Citizenship and an American flag. Ella also got a flag :) (sidenote: Ella received her Certificate in China when we visited the US Embassy)



Wow! I am overwelmed by the country we live in and grateful to the country of my son's birth.

Yea Theo- YOU ARE NOW A CITIZEN of the USA!!!!

This will certainly be a 4th of July celebrate!!

2 comments:

nancy and eric schwartz said...

Congratulations! WOW...what an awesome day!
nancy

Lisa said...

Congratulations to you all!! What a happy and exciting day to have Theo's citizenship official. :)
Lisa K.