Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Blood Draw


Theo and I went to a lab today for his lead test blood draw. First the technician tried to find a vein by touch - not so easy! She went with her best guess and tried to draw from his arm. Nothing came out but sweet little Theo did make a noise. The lady fished the needle around for a good 45 seconds as I flinched and cringed. Little Theo sat quietly and watched intently. Then a few tears trickled down his little cheek.


She decided to try again in his finger tips but warned me they draw slow. (Theo cannot start daycare without his lead test or I would have left!) She pricked his finger. Still not a word from Theo. No tears this time. However, she had to squeeze his fingertips to fill 3 small viles. I turned on Bugs Bunny on the ipod and he watched silently for 20 MINUTES while the viles filled. He held the iphone in his unaffected hand and watched soundlessly.

What seemed like 2 hours later, I was telling Theo how brave he was the whole way to the car. Still no words from him.

Finally when he sat in his seat he said "I no like that." These words constitute Theo's first 4 word sentence. What a sweet little trooper he was today. This proud and heartstruck mom cried as she drove out of the parking lot. I love you Theo!

1 comment:

nancy and eric schwartz said...

oh angie...how brave you are too, bless both your hearts!