Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A BIG Week

(Liam wasnt much for posing for photos but he sure looked good in his I love Belleville shirt!)

It has been a big week in the House of Eckert. We had a wonderful 3 days with dear friend Ali and her son Liam. My cousin Jodi and her baby are visiting so we had a special reason to throw a mini homecoming party and several (exhausting) outings with the kids.

Our goal was to keep the kiddos happy and entertained so we could visit! It was a successful and very fun weekend visiting the zoo (loved the Sting Rays) and the Shrine Park. I must say that little red-head baby Seneca is as precious as can be. Theo and Ella both loved holding her. Ella even got to change a few diapers!

Then, Monday night was Open House for K-8 parents at Ella’s new school. Boy was it crowded. I left feeling completely sick to my stomach and overwhelmed by what we are about to embark on – a much more scheduled life!

Tuesday at 1pm, Ella and I took her supplies to her new classroom and sorted them into the designated bins. We put her name chips under the chocolate milk sign since she decided to have that for snack time on the first day. She also put her name chip under the “bringing my lunch” sign for Wednesday.

With our teacher’s checklist in hand, the two of us sought out the computer room, lunch room, playground (Ella noted its “low” swings for jumping off), art room, music room the little-kid potties and nurses office. At 2pm, we had seen and done it all! Ella was excited the whole time. She skipped down the hallways and often walked ahead of me brimming with curiosity. What a great feeling that was for this scaredy-cat mom!

Wednesday both kids were up at 6:30am and ready to start the day. It didn’t seem to matter how hard I tried to squeak a few more restful minutes out of them! Dad made some breakfast and then it was time to pack up the backpacks. Theo proudly shoved his blankie and paci in his backpack – big sister helped him zip it. Ella packed her own lunch and put it in her bag. At 7:40 they were ready to go and I was frantically looking for my camera!

Luckily I found it in time to capture the moment at home. As we headed to the garage, Chris spotted Chief with a baby squirrel dangling out of his mouth. I guess Chief wanted to have a big day too. All dying animals aside, we did finally get the kids in the appropriate vehicles. I kissed Ella goodbye before I got teary-eyed and off she and Chris went to her very first day of Kindergarten.

Chris later reported she was happy and excited. She didn’t want to take time to stop for pictures because she was ready to go in! She kissed him goodbye easily and off he went.

Theo and I headed to Laugh and Learn, his new “school.” He was apprehensive inside but studied the room intently and insisted on keeping his backpack on. I shuffled out of the room after a few minutes. It is hard to know if it is better to stay or go in these situations.

More soon when we have the end of day report !

PS. Ella is very proud to be a Freeburg HORNET!

No comments: